Sat, Feb 26|
Black Ourstory: Brilliance & Resilience
This is an opportunity to provide much needed resources and support to our Black LGBTQ+ community members and provide a space for them to network and find community; supporting our mission and vision.
Time & Location
Feb 26, 2022, 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
City College, San Diego, CA 92101, USA
About the Event
This conference is comprised of three different learning tracks that break down into three, 2 hour workshops.
The tracks will be running at the same time. If you are interested in mixing courses from the 'Trans/Nonbinary Resource' track and the 'Community Resource' track, we can assist you with this in person (unless the courses you are interested in are happening at the same time). If you are a service provider, we ask that you only choose the provider track, unless you are also part of the community, to respect the space and privacy of attendees.
The 'Trans/Nonbinary Resource' track is for people looking for resources specific to trans and nonbinary people.
- (Gender Phluid Collective) Support group for Black and Brown Trans/Nonbinary folx, allies, loved ones, family, etc.
- (Jah Freeman) Makeup workshop for Black Trans women and femmes
- (Project TRANS)Tucking workshop, STPs, safer ways to wear binders, free resources, voice feminization workshop, information on gender-affirming surgery
The 'Service Provider' track is for those looking to serve the Black LGBTQ+ community in enriching and more affirming ways.
- White Fragility, Combating Racism
- Anti-Black racism and Black Erasure
- LGBTQ+ Solidarity, and a Letter Writing workshop for gender-affirming surgeries
The 'Community Resource' track is for people looking for general resources.
- (Legal Aid Society of San Diego) Navigating Healthcare issues, Discrimination and Access to Care
- (Job Options)Career Workshop: Job preparedness, interview and resume writing tips
- (ACLU) Know Your Rights - Police Interactions, the PrOTECT Ordinance
- (US Bank)Home Ownership, Mortgage & Down Payment Assistance
When choosing your ticket, you may select the 'Virtual Option' to receive a Zoom link to the Conference. This link will be sent to your registered email inbox 2 HOURS before the event begins. Once logged into the Zoom conference room, you will be able to choose your learning track.
Light breakfast and lunch will be provided to in-person attendees.
Masks are REQUIRED at this event. Attendees also must bring proof of a negative COVID test (72 hours) or a valid vaccination card.
- In partnership with SD Pride, we will be helping folx register for San Diego Pride's Vaccination Clinic. They have both walk-up service and appointments.